Changing your name

Changing your name can be an exciting part of becoming married. Though it is not compulsory, it is a popular custom that many of my clients take up. Sometimes couples find the process to be a bit daunting, but with my assistance it can be quite easy.

You can assume a new name without going through an official name change process, known as ‘Name by Association’. However, if you want to open a bank account or get a new drchanging your nameiver’s licence in your assumed name, you will need to have made the change legally.

Whilst the Certificate of Marriage that I give you on the day confirms that your marriage has been solemnised according to law, it is really only a ceremonial/presentation copy. In most cases, it cannot be used as an official identification document.

You will need to apply for a Marriage Certificate, which is something that I can do this for you while I am registering your marriage on Emarriages. As of 1 May 2016, the application fee payable to the NSW Registry is $53.00 (fees may vary from State to State). You can check the application process here.

Your marriage does need to be registered first, which I would normally do within 24hrs of your ceremony on line and then paperwork will be posted on the Monday after your ceremony.

Once you have received your Marriage Certificate, it can be used as your official identification document to start the change of name process for all of the following:

  1. Bank Accounts/Credit Cards/Superannuation
  2. The Electoral Roll
  3. Insurance Policies
  4. Medicare
  5. Private Health Funds
  6. Drivers Licence & Registration
  7. Tax
  8. Passport
  9. Miscellaneous Memberships/Account